Who can get their taxes completed by Iowa Tax-Aide

We offer free tax preparation help to anyone of any age – especially if you are 50 or older or can’t afford to pay for tax preparation services. AARP Foundation Tax-Aide volunteers are trained to assist you in filing most basic tax forms and schedules.

However, the Volunteer Protection Act requires that our volunteers stay in the scope of the program. If counselors feel they do not have adequate knowledge or your return is too complex, you may need to seek another qualified counselor or paid tax assistance.

We cannot prepare:

• Schedule C (business return) if business expenses exceed $35,000

• Complicated Schedule D (Capital Gains and Losses) without proper paperwork

• Schedule E (Rental Property) with expenses, including depreciation (exception: returns for military members only, prepared by a counselor who has been certified to do military returns provided another military certifed counselor is available to quality review the return)

• Schedule F (Farm Income)

• 2106 (Employee Business Expenses)

• 3903 (Moving Expenses)

• 8615 (Minor’s Investment Income)

• Some portions of Schedules A and B that are not included in our training

• Schedule K-1 (business partnership) that involves depreciation or deductible expenses

• Other rental income or business income