What you need to bring to the Tax-Aide site

Please bring the items from the below list that apply to you:

  • Copy of last year’s federal and state income tax return(s)

  • Social Security cards and/or ITIN notices/cards or other official documentation that show the taxpayer identification numbers for every individual on your return

  • Government-issued Photo ID for each taxpayer

  • Checking or savings account information if you want to direct deposit any refund(s) or direct debit any amounts due.

  • Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) (for each individual if applicable)

Income related documents:

  • W-2 forms from each employer

  • 1099-G form for unemployment compensation or state/local income tax refunds

  • Form W2-G gambling winnings (and receipts for gambling losses)

  • SSA-1099 form showing the total Social Security benefits paid to you for the year, or RRB-1099, Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits form

  • 1099 forms (or other statements) reporting interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV) and/or proceeds from sales (1099-B), plus documentation showing the original purchase prices if you sold stocks or other assets

  • 1099-R form if you received a pension, annuity, or IRA distribution

  • 1099-MISC, 1099-K, or other 1099 forms. If you have a business, bring a summary list of all your income (cash and non-cash) and all business-related expenses

  • Information about any other income of any form including cash or other than cash


  • Records of any federal and/or state and/or local income tax paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments) if not shown on income documents


State of Iowa

  • Health Care (Medical/Dental/Vision) insurance premiums, paid by you and after-tax, plus Long Term Care insurance premiums are deductible. Always bring these statements with you.


Most taxpayers have a choice of taking either a standard deduction or itemizing their deductions. If you have a substantial amount of deductions, you may want to itemize. If so, bring the following information:

    • 1098 form showing home mortgage interest

    • A summary list of medical/dental/vision expenses including doctor and hospital bills and medical insurance premiums, prescription medicines, assisted living services, long-term care insurance and bills for medical related home improvements such as ramps and railings for people with disabilities

    • Summary of cash and noncash contributions to charity

    • Property tax bills paid during the year (frequently shown on mortgage statement)

    • Vehicle registration showing annual fee paid

Health Insurance:

  • 1095-A forms if you purchased insurance through the Marketplace (Exchange)

  • 1095-B/1095-C forms (optional)


  • Dependent care provider information – name, address, telephone number and employer ID or Social Security number and amount paid to provider

  • 1098-T form for education expenses plus statement of account from the educational institution showing tuition and fees actually paid and scholarships, grants, etc. received. Also bring a summary of any other education expenses.

  • 1098-E form for student loan interest